Wednesday, April 11, 2018

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸¸.ஐ Review For Gifted : A time travel paranormal romance with bite by Charmaine Ross ஐ..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸¸.





Gifted : 
A time travel paranormal romance with bite 
by Charmaine Ross












Katia wasn’t born with her ‘gift’. It was genetically engineered
 by a madman who once proclaimed to be her father, yet 
destroyed her for ‘The Greater Good’. After years of abuse
 and torture, after fighting to complying against her father’s 
atrocities, after escape and re-capture, and now drawing her
 dying breath Katia does what she has refused to do—use
 her gift—to destroy the lab that has been her living hell.

Only she doesn’t die. And she doesn’t escape. She wakes

 into a new world, weak and disoriented, where nothing 
makes sense. She is told by Doctor Julius Freeman that she
 has been found deep underground and has been in an 
induced coma for over one hundred years. As handsome 
and as kind as he is, she doesn’t trust him. Doesn’t trust 
anybody, let alone the most absurd lie she has ever heard.

As Katia staggers through the streets of Melbourne, she 

realises with a sickening sense of dread that Julius was 
telling her the truth. But not only has she traveled through 
a century, so has her father. The peace she so desperately
 wants, has escaped her again.


Katia stirs more than strictly professional feelings within 

Julius, however he harbours a dark secret he knows will 
break Katia apart if she finds out. Blackmailed, Julius needs
 Katia to end his own nightmare and faces an impossible
 choice. He ignores his feeling until they burn a simmering 
ache in his heart.

When Julius is attacked and kidnapped, bleeding and on the

 verge of death, Katia must face her demons. Fight like she’s
 never fought before to save the man she loves, or risk 
everything and became the Hell on Earth her father has 
groomed her to become. 



Holly freaking hell what a book! The book is just so well-
written and thought through. It just had this wonderful flow to it.

This book is Katia’s story. Oh how I wanted to murder her 
father in this book. The things he had done to this girl were 
horrible and he thought he was a nice dad. Come on talk 
about delusional. But just when she thinks it is all over, she
gets a well can’t say rude awakening. But she was angry
 they brought her back. At least Doctor Julius is a nice guy.
 But she still runs. Will she be able to trust him or will that be
 her downfall to. She is one powerful woman but will it be 
enough.


Now before I ruin this for you I will leave off here. I hope you
 enjoy this book as much as I did. If you do like this book, 
please consider leaving a review. The Authors really like it 
when you do; they value your opinions too.









Prologue 4 several lifetimes ago, before they’d found me and brought me back. It had slowly destroyed me, but I’d resisted him. The nightmares of what he’d made me do when I was a child still woke me at night, sweating and screaming and believing I was still that helpless fourteen-year-old again. Well, I’d show him just what I could do now. Now it was on my terms, and the only people who were going to die this time were the ones who deserved it. The energy pulsed through my body. It was living, throbbing, vying for life. It screeched through my limbs, spiked my veins. I gritted my teeth, fighting unconsciousness, letting the pain of a thousand needles prick me from the inside. I invited the pain, let the energy feed on it. This was the buildup of eight years of depriving myself. Eight years of letting my energy lie dormant. Letting it rest and build and grow strong. I wasn’t a naive, weak teenager anymore. I was twentyfour and stronger. I pried open my eyes, concentrated on the acrid flames. I called the energy from my blood, balled it into my core until it was all I could feel. All I knew. All I was. Then, when it was almost too much for me to restrain, I pushed it from my body, out toward the flames. They exploded, soaring upward until they blocked out the blue of the sky. For a moment, I thought it hadn’t worked, that I had depleted myself for nothing. Then there was a shift in direction of the flames. They danced and flickered, letting off black smoke at the moving tips, as though they were thinking for themselves. And despite the direction of the wind, the flames moved, charging toward the buildings—that hell on earth. Flames descended, obliterating and destroying. There was a lot to destroy in this area of the Toolangi State Forest. I laughed. My legs gave out. I sank into the dirt, so dry it spiraled around me and clogged my throat. I closed my eyes, felt a smile on my mouth as I welcomed death. At last, I had ended the nightmare. 5 Chapter One “She’s alive!” The voice came from a tunnel. Muted. Like I was hearing it over a bad, long distance telephone line. It sounded surprised. That was strange. I thought they’d be ready for me here. I couldn’t smell the smoke, so I guessed I’d made it into the next world. I drifted back into the soft, black abyss. “No you don’t.” A voice, loud and angry. I felt rough hands on me pushing hard on my chest. It hurt. I wanted to drift into the blackness again. It was warm there. Nothing could hurt me. I was safe. A sting on my neck. Burning in my veins. The voice was yelling. I didn’t think angels yelled. At me? No. I heard other voices. Indistinguishable urgent mumbles. People. More than just one. A group. Thoughts tumbled through my mind and pooled in an untidy heap. Was I in Heaven? My recollection of what I’d heard about Heaven was that it was a pretty nice place to go. In those years where I existed on the street, Heather would tell me, “Ka tia, you’ll love it there. The sky is a beautiful cloudless blue, and there are green fields full of wildflowers, and you are always happy. There is no sadness or pain. You can do whatever you want to do.” She often glossed over the way in which I would get there. I guess she didn’t know either. We were both kids. Something about being good, but that didn’t ring true to me anymore. No one we knew was good. I knew that you were sad when other people went to Heaven, which was pretty much a contradiction. If it was a place you wanted to go, then you should be happy that someone actually got there. I told Heather Heaven would be warm. It was much better than those freezing nights when the cold bit into your bones as sharp as a knife and there was nowhere warm you could go, no one you could turn to because that would get you into trouble—bad, bad trouble. Something wrapped around my arm and was pulled tight, pinching 6 my skin. There was a sting in the crook of my elbow. Ice through my veins. “Wake up.” Warm breath enveloped my ear. The voice was gentle and insistent. Nice. But I didn’t want to listen to it. I shook my head. A mistake. Pain seared somewhere in the middle of my brain. My stomach recoiled. I wanted to sink into the black again. I liked it there. The ice was taking me away from it. My heart raced. A force pulsed through my veins, pushing through arteries that opened wide and greedy, waking every pore, every cell back to life. Like I was born all over again, and it was hell. My mouth opened and sucked in air in a coarse, noisy gasp. My back arched upward and lifted my body high. My arms flopped outward like a sacrifice, opening ribs, expanding lungs. Pain sliced into every sinew. I didn’t want to breathe. Didn’t want to move. Why couldn’t I just stay dead? It was nice there. Someone uttered, “Holy shit. She’s alive.” There was silence, except for the noise my lungs made when I sucked in a struggling breath. But my body was too heavy. I gagged, choking for air now. Suffocating. My body not responding. Why the hell wake me when I was perfectly happy being dead in the abyss? I dove back down. “We’re losing her.” “Give her another shot.” More ice flowed into my arm. The blackness gave way to gray shadows. This wasn’t what I wanted. No warmth now. I was cold. Freezing. I hated the cold. My body ached, heavy, limbs were useless. I couldn’t move. My head throbbed. Snow White didn’t wake up this way. Heather had always said I looked like Snow White. Raven dark hair, white skin, blue eyes. She used to say she liked the way I looked, but Heather was romantic. Why didn’t I live like Snow White? Where was my prince? “That’s a girl. Wake up,” The soothing voice was back in my ear. A wave of anger shattered the black into a thousand splinters. I wanted to go back, and he wasn’t letting me. The least he could have done was ask me if I wanted to wake up. I would have told him no, leave me alone. I liked being left alone. 7 I was sick of the chasing. The hiding. Nowhere to go. No one to turn to. No friends. No Heather. Gone. Years ago now, but the pain was still raw. Then Victor caught me. After years of hiding, he’d found me. A rage, strong and deep, tore through my mind. He caught me, and I didn’t want to be caught. Fucking bastard. I screamed in my mind and then realized that I was screaming out loud. “You gave her too much.” “No. It seems she went to sleep like this, and she’s waking up the same way. That happens with anesthesia patients sometimes.” “She’s angry.” Asshole. I’m more than fucking angry. I opened my eyes. Brilliant light seared painfully. Everything was blurry, muddled and bright, way too bright. I breathed like I had run a mile in a second, in and out of my nostrils. I clenched my teeth so I could stop the screaming, stop them chattering because of the cold. I hated people hearing me scream. I’d learned not to. It only goaded them on. A face came into my vision, unfocused. I made out tanned skin, brown hair, brightness for the eyes, dark for the mouth. I wanted to punch him, but my arm disobeyed my order and stayed limp by my side. “Congratulations. You’re alive,” the voice said, as though it were a good thing. It was the same voice that had kept me from the abyss I sought. The soft, gentle voice. “I didn’t want to come back.” My voice came out like an old toad’s croak. My throat hurt when I spoke. Did everything have to hurt so much? “We couldn’t leave you like this.” I knew I wasn’t in Heaven. I was still caught in the nightmare. I closed my eyes. “Get fucked.”







*..•.¸¸•´¯`•  Charmaine Ross •´¯`•.¸¸.*




My first foray into romance was as a fourteen year old where
 I fell hopelessly and eternally in love with my hero as only a
 teenager can. Instead of watching movies and staying up 
late, I would go to bed at eight thirty and continue my very 
romantic, very safe, love affair.



Since then, I have fallen in love with many heroes, some less
 safe than what my teenage brain could possibly imagine. 
After earning a Fine Art’s Degree, a Diploma of Secondary 
Education and a Diploma of Marketing, I worked as a 
Graphic Designer in various advertising agencies as well as
 in-house marketing roles and am currently involved with
digital marketing and everything web in my current position.
 But I always return to writing.


Although I have traveled, I always return to my home town of 
Melbourne and live with my husband, two children and two 
cats in the ferny-greens of the Dandenongs. If I'm not 
working on my latest romance and falling in love with yet 
another hero, you’ll find me reading, watching and basically
 indulging in my addiction to any story on any media type 
I can get my fingers on. 








No comments:

Post a Comment